Monday, October 3, 2011

Inspiration: Discarded Asphalt Art


I find myself pondering about the most discarded objects in life. Perhaps it is my way.

As a Rat of the Chinese Zodiac, I admit I have many of the tendencies. Although I am not a hoarder, I really do find myself pining to figure out every other way to use an object before I throw it away. Is it wrong? I surely hope not.

My son and I used to walk to the grocery store at our last apartment nearly every day. Not really as an exercise plan, but a way to wear him down physically to make him more acute mentally. My children, like many or most, are prone to be categorized as having ADD. These same children can sit for hours doing puzzle based video games and Sudoku.

Anyhow, William and I decided to go out together alone today. The local grocery here is called Marsh. They are also kind enough to offer 5 cents for every reusable bag you bring into the store. We are only two blocks away from a very busy intersection with lots of useful shops including a small Jo-Ann fabric. Along the way back home, I noticed him kicking a small piece of asphalt. I noticed there were a lot of pieces near the edge of the street where they haven't yet finished the side walks.

Being a Science Olympiad Mineral and Rock event person many moons ago, I was intrigued. I saw a piece that wasn't completely rough. The sparkle of pale gypsum pieces in the paving concrete made me pick it up to inspect. Like all good strays, it came home.

Soon, my husband stared at me awkwardly, as I steam sterilized it and sat looking for a good use for it. There was a small niche in the side where I instantly thought about one of my air plants. It took a couple of my plants to find one that fit naturally into the space.

But I feel pleased. If it doesn't sell on etsy, I welcome my air plant friend to continue holding the stack of bills, coupon pages to cut, and school newsletters at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep things positive and clever.